MONDAY, April 20 — Clinton County tracked its seventh coronavirus-related death today, edging up the Greater Lansing death toll to at least 18 with more than 500 confirmed cases.
Across Michigan, at least another 576 confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported this afternoon, along with 77 more related deaths as the state remains on virus-induced lockdown.
Here are the latest case and death statistics across Greater Lansing, Michigan and the country:
Cases — 314
Recoveries — 85
Deaths — 6
Fatality Rate — 1.9%
Most Ingham County cases, 51-55 of them, were tracked in Lansing in zip code 48911. Much of the rest of southwest Lansing, Mason, East Lansing, Meridian and Bath townships tallied 26-40 cases in zip codes 48910, 48823, 48854 and 48864. Zip codes 48912, 48842 and 48906 tracked between 16-20 cases. Zip code 488915 tracked 11-15 cases. Zip codes 48840, 48895, 48917, 48819, 48827, 28892, 48909, 48933, 49251, 49264 and 49285 tracked 10 cases or less.
Cases — 90
Recoveries — 55
Deaths — 5
Fatality Rate — 5.6%
Cases — 104
Deaths — 7
Fatality Rate — 6.7%
Officials at the Mid-Michigan County Health Department do not report recovery statistics.
Four residents at Gunnisonville Meadows Senior Assisted Living in Dewitt have died from the COVID-19, with 17 residents and two staff members also testing positive for the virus, health department officials reported this week. Those with the virus or symptoms are in self-quarantine.
Cases — 32,000 (+1.8%)
Deaths — 2468 (+3.2%)
Fatality Rate — 7.7%
Recoveries — 3,237 (as of 4/17/20)
According to state reports, about 77% of cases (and about 82% of those dead) are from Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties, including the city of Detroit. Data also shows African Americans accounted for 33% of cases and 40% of deaths. Caucasians accounted for 30% of cases and 43% of deaths; those of unknown race charted 25% of cases and 11% of deaths.
At least 561 cases and 19 deaths are among Michigan Department of Corrections inmates.
Cases — 776,513
Deaths — 41,313
Fatality Rate — 5.3%
Michigan is the state with the fifth most confirmed cases in the country, behind New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. Michigan also reports the third most virus deaths in the U.S. behind New York and New Jersey. The U.S. has the most cases in the world.
A recent Facebook announcement of an armed protest in Lansing today against Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s emergency shutdown appears to have been a fake. No such protest has yet formed. Regardless, Lansing Mayor Andy Schor said the city has been monitoring the potential situation.
At least a dozen homeless people in Lansing could be left in the cold tonight as city officials continue to enforce a blanket suspension on open fires amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Over the weekend, the Lansing Fire Department extinguished a small fire at a makeshift camp downtown.
A Lansing-based cannabis company is giving away a one-year supply of pot (among other marijuana-related prizes) to celebrate the industry’s most famous holiday. Enter online before midnight tonight to be eligible to win some dank prizes — like a free joint every day for a year.
The Summer Solstice Jazz Festival — initially scheduled to take place June 19 and 20 in East Lansing — has been canceled due to the COVID-19 crisis. Staff are working to move previously scheduled artists to next year’s event, pending availability. A virtual festival is being considered.
The Lansing Economic Area Partnership — through the state’s Business Accelerator Fund — is offering expanded access and eligibility to support small, non-tech companies making personal protective equipment or medical supplies and other businesses working to fight COVID-19. Visit purelansing.com/baf for details and visit purelansing.com/businessrelief for other assistance.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said that Michigan, as whole, appears to be flattening its curve of new coronavirus cases with fewer cases reported in the last few days. But that doesn’t mean it’s time to reopen the economy and send people back to work, she emphasized earlier this afternoon.
“It shows the aggressive actions we’ve taken are working,” Whitmer added. “We know that our actions are saving lives here in Michigan. We’re doing the smart thing and we’re seeing results.”
Whitmer’s current “Stay Safe, Stay Home” executive order — which limits travel and mandates many businesses to halt their physical operations — expires on April 30. At which point, Whitmer thinks reverting back to normal life will occur over a series of gradual phases.
State officials emphasized that while the overall state caseload appears to be tapering off, many counties (including rural areas) are reporting a rising number of coronavirus cases. Whitmer’s phrase of the day: Optimism — but only “cautious optimism” — as the virus continues to spread.
“We have to do everything we can to avoid a second peak,” Whitmer strongly emphasized earlier today at a press conference. “Just because it hasn’t showed up in your community doesn’t mean it’s not already there. What happens next depends on every single one of us.”
Whitmer today signed an executive order to create the Coronavirus Task Force on Racial Disparities. The goal: gather medical experts to study and address the causes of the disproportionate impact that COVID-19 has had on communities of color across the state.
While African Americans represent 13.6% of the population, they represent a staggering 40% of the deaths from the coronavirus. Whitmer said the task force — headed up by Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist — will recommend actions to immediately address those underlying inequities.
Among several members of the newly formed task force: Dr. Renée Branch Canady, of Lansing, the chief executive officer of the Michigan Public Health Institute and Dr. Randolph Rasch, of East Lansing, a professor and dean of the Michigan State University College of Nursing.
Attorney General Dana Nessel sent a cease-and-desist letter last week to Land Scape Supplies LLC., a Muskegon-based landscaping company that violated Whitmer’s lockdown on nonessential businesses. A judge has since issued an order confirming the recent violation.
Nessel is also reminding residents to remain on high alert for phone scams as federal stimulus payments continue to roll in for qualifying Michiganders. Banks have also been asked to pay close attention to inconsistencies in transactions from accounts of vulnerable, older adults.
The Michigan National Guard received a request today to provide support to the South Michigan Food Bank in Battle Creek. Assistance will continue there until mid-May along with volunteer help at food banks in other cities like Comstock Park, Ann Arbor, Pontiac, Flint and Royal Oak.
This daily log from City Pulse will be substantially updated later this evening. In the meantime, the latest information is posted online at michigan.gov/coronavirus and cdc.gov/coronavirus.
City Pulse needs your support now more than ever. Advertising — almost all our revenue — has fallen sharply because of closures due to the coronavirus. Our staff is working seven days a week to help keep you informed. Please do what you can at this time to contribute to the City Pulse Fund. All donations are tax-deductible.