Monday, June 3 — The battle over the best chili in greater Lansing was hashed out Friday at the 18th annual BWL Chili Cook-off.
BWL spokesman Stephen Serkaian said participation this year was estimated at about 7,000, or about 2,000 more people than last year’s turnout. He said organizers are still trying to determine the amount of money raised for charity.
First and second place were chosen for each of the 10 award categories, as well as a runner-up.
- Winning People’s Choice Best Chili for the second year in a row was Red Robin’s Gourmet Burgers; placing second was Texas Roadhouse.
- First place for the best amateur chili was Buffalo Wild Wings; IBEW Local 352 received second-place honors.
- Securing the “Red Hot Hospitality” first-place award was Bagger Dave’s, with Liquid Web getting second-place.
- The best restaurant chili winners were Red Robin with first place and Texas Roadhouse coming in second.
- With its seemingly fire-infused chili, the Mo’ Hotter, Mo’ Better, Hottest Chili award was given to the Lansing Center. The Radisson Hotel received the second-place award.
- IBEW Local 352 won the best meatless chili, with Gravity Works and Development coming in second.
- For the best corporate chili of the festival, Gold Fish Swim got first-place and Jackson National Life collected the second-place award.
- For the most creative chili name, Chili Chili Bang Bang of Studio C!’s Oscar’s Bistro was awarded first place, with Preparation Hot from Mayfair Bar coming in second.
- First place for most creative booth was given to IBEW Local 352 and Gravity Works and Development received the second-place award.
- In non-chili-related results, the Best Salsa award was awarded to the Mayfair Bar, with the Michigan State University Gallery coming in second.